This easy-to-prepare all-vegetable soup adds the subtle flavor of seasonal healthy asparagus to seasonless favorites like potatoes, carrots and garlic.
Ingredients (about 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 -2 lb. white or green asparagus, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 medium-size potatoes, chopped to small pcs
- 3 large carrots, chopped to small pcs
- 1 white onion, chopped to small pcs
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon summer savory or oregano, fresh or dried, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper or dried lovage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro or parsley for garnish, fresh, chopped
1. Saute garlic and onion pieces in olive oil in a large saucepan until lightly browned.
Allow soup to cool and pour into a plastic container with a tight lid, store in your freezer. When ready to use, thaw soup at room temperature, on slow heat in a medium-size pot or in microwave. Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro or parsley.
Baby food idea:
Allow soup to cool and drain some broth according to your preferred consistency for baby food. Blend with hand blender and store in sterilized 4-ounce or 6-ounce glass jars. If you are planning to use the soup as baby food for a baby younger than one year old, refrain from using salt.