This post is sponsored by belVita, but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
As a busy mom of two little monkeys, owner of three businesses and an active athlete, mornings can be quite challenging. Although I try to prepare fresh breakfast such as homemade granola, yogurt and fruit at home every day, there are days when it’s simply not possible. So I looked for other healthy options on the go, that would both satisfy my family nutritiously as well taste-wise. After trying several products, belVita Breakfast Biscuits won me over.
Here is why:
- I love the flexibility: nutritious belVita Biscuits come in many forms and flavors; and knowing my husband likes the morning crunch, I can send him off to surf with few packets of the crunchy blueberry belVita Biscuits, while my six-year old prefers softer meal in the morning, so if I don’t have time to make him oatmeal, he can munch on a soft biscuit such as Banana Bread belVita Breakfast Biscuit on the way to school.
- Continuous 4-hours of energy: Since belVita Biscuits contain slowly digestible starch (SDS), when coupled with one serving of milk (or other dairy product) and one serving of fruit, their consumption results in a slow and steady release of glucose into our blood stream, providing continuous flow of energy. That’s great news, since we don’t always get a chance to have a healthy snack between breakfast and lunch.
What I would change or improve:
- Although belVita Biscuits do not contain high amounts of sugar (9-12g per serving, depending on type), in my opinion, the sugar content could be reduced and/or replaced with other natural sweeteners with low glycemic index that will not compromise the experience.
- The same goes for sodium. The sodium content varies on the type of belVita Biscuits and ranging between 120-210 mg per serving, which represents 5-10% of recommended daily sodium intake for an adult person. For instance, a child of 4 to 6 years of age should not consume more than 1200 mg of sodium a day.
Excessive consumption of both sugar and sodium is a huge problem in our society nowadays, especially with children. It’s our responsibility as parents and health advocates to control their intake. However, if you serve belVita Biscuits together with plain milk, yogurt or other unsweetened dairy, along with fresh piece of fruit, you help your family balance the intake of both sugar and sodium.
And how can you incorporate belVita Biscuits into your busy life?
- I keep a packet or two of my favorite Cranberry Orange or Blueberry Crunchy belVita Biscuits in my purse and in my car at all times, so I can enjoy it as a healthy snack when I’m out and about.
- Since I’m trying to keep my boys away from unhealthy school snack machines, I need to keep their school lunches exciting. Which means I need to be creative: one day I pack a savory snack such as mozzarella sticks with whole-grain crackers and carrots, another day I give them two packets of their favorite belVita Biscuits along with plain yogurt and fresh fruit, the next day I prepare a healthy sandwich and some dried nuts, and so on. Incorporating belVita Biscuits into their lunch boxes makes my life much easier.
- Talking about lunch boxes, my husband does have a sweet tooth, so throwing few packets into his lunch box does the trick and keeps him focused while teaching.
Where can you try and/or buy belVita Biscuits?
The good news is, that belVita Biscuits are widely available now in mainstream retail such as Walmart, so you don’t have to search for a health-food store to find them. Just look for a cracker or biscuit section at your local Walmart store.
Try some of the new available flavors of belVita Biscuits such as belVita Breakfast Sandwich Yogurt Crunch and take advantage of their promotional offer with this Ibotta coupon.
Enjoy this nutritional breakfast or healthy snack on the go!