Getting its sweetness from dark chocolate chips, bananas and a touch of honey, this easy-to-make recipe for oat bread can be made as a healthy, flavor-packed loaf or a dozen muffins. If you’re making muffins, cut baking time in half.
Ingredients ( yields 1 loaf or 12 muffins):
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup oat flakes (old-fashioned oatmeal is good for this)
- 3/4 cup hot milk, soy milk or water
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola or corn oil
- 2 egg whites beaten until fluffy
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat or pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon non-alum baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine oat bran, oat flakes and milk, set aside to cool.
- Combine mashed bananas, honey, vegetable oil, beaten egg whites, then stir into oat mixture.
- Mix remaining ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, chips and nuts together and stir into oat mixture.
- Pour batter into an oiled bread pan or muffin pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes for muffins, 1 hour for loaf, or until done.