This easy recipe for a chilled fruit salad with coconut chips and coconut water dressing is a crunchy, colorful way to get your kids excited about eating a variety of fruit.
Every color found in fruits and vegetables focuses on building the immune system in its own way; it’s essential to select a variety of colors to get a full range of phytochemicals (beneficial plant chemicals) in our daily diet.
For this cool summer salad we selected 6 different colors: white=bananas, yellow=lime/lemon, orange=oranges, red=cranberries, green=kiwifruit and green pears and blue=plums.
Ingredients (yields about 6 servings):
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 large orange, peeled, skinned and sliced
- 1 large green pear, cored and sliced
- 2 red plums, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (sweetened with real fruit juice)
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut, sliced into flakes or dried shredded
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp lemon or lime juice
1. Put all freshly sliced fruit into a medium-sized bowl, add dried cranberries and mix gently together. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Pour room-temperature coconut water into a small jar, add lime juice and honey and stir until honey completely dissolves.
3. Remove salad bowl from refrigerator, sprinkle with coconut flakes and pour honey-coconut water mixture over.
4. Serve chilled in small bowl with spoon.