Chocolate doesn’t have to be heart-shaped to be sweet: These merry mice make a great edible (and adorable) gift for anyone with a sweet tooth and are guaranteed to be the hit of any party. They’re deceptively easy and quick to make, and kids will have a ball making the little critters come to life.
- 1 bag Nestle Toll House Semi-Sweet Morsels
- 1 bag Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Kisses (you can substitute dark chocolate kisses if you like)
- Maraschino cherries (with stems)
- Cake decorating gel in small tubes (red, blue, white)
- Sliced almonds
- Prepare a tray or baking sheet covered with a sheet of waxed paper.
- Melt chocolate morsels and stir well; a double boiler is best for this, but low heat on a stovetop, or even a microwave works. Be sure not to overcook and scald chocolate. When chocolate is melted, turn off heat but stir frequently and re-heat if necessary to keep chocolate soft enough for dipping.
- Holding a maraschino cherry by its stem (this will be the tail), dip the cherry into the melted chocolate until it is covered with chocolate.
- Set chocolate covered cherry on its side on waxed paper-covered tray.
- Gently press the flat side of a Hershey’s Kiss onto the front of the cherry. Hold firmly til it is attached on its own.
- Find two good “ears” among the sliced almonds and insert them gently between the “head” and the “body” of the mouse.
- Repeat this step, placing the mice in rows on the tray until you have as many as you like. Stir chocolate and periodically turn on heat to keep melted.
- When you’ve made as many mice as you want, you’re ready to use the baking gel to make “eyes.” Cut off gel tube tip, then gently squeeze two drops onto the front of each Kiss to make round, beady eyes. You can use red, blue, pink or any other color you fancy (if you can find opaque white gel, a tiny white dot in the middle of the other dot adds extra personality).
- Refrigerate mice at least an hour to cool, then let your edible infestation loose on the world!