Holiday dip is the perfect party dish, easy and quick to make and serve. Even better: Make them healthy with nutritious ingredients. The following dish combines cooked chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) with fresh garlic and other healthy ingredients. Ingredients (serves 4-6 people)
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 8oz low fat cream cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 4 leaves of fresh lettuce or spinach
1. Combine chickpeas, cream cheese, garlic, olive oil, salt and sugar in food processor and mix well together.
2. Serve on a bed of fresh lettuce with whole grain crackers or corn tortillas. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Easy homemade chips:
1. Cut up a whole wheat or spinach tortilla into small triangles.
2. Flash-fry tortilla triangles on frying pan in one tablespoon of hot olive oil.
From our green chef Diana Vazquez. Enjoy!
Para la versión en español de esta receta vaya a Dip de Garbanzo para la Fiesta.
Nutritional facts and health benefits of chickpeas:
Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K. They also contain calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. Chickpeas contain dietary fiber, which helps to lower blood cholesterol levels, reduce blood pressure, lower LDL cholesterol levels and ease inflammation. Dietary fiber also prevents hemorrhoids, helps with weight control and aids digestion.