Here’s a simple, healthy snack for potato chip lovers of all ages made from plantain, a type of green banana used mainly in cooking.
- 3 large plantain bananas
- dash sea salt
- fresh or dried herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary), chopped finely
- olive oil or cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice bananas in half and cut off the skin.
- Slice bananas cross-wise, length-wise and on an angle for variety. Each chip should be about 1/8 of an inch thick to give them a good crunch and grip.
- Prepare a baking pan by spraying (use a spray bottle to avoid using too much) or pouring some olive oil onto it evenly
- Layer the chips in the pan and add sea salt and/or herbs.
- Put pan in oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until chips turn golden. You can flip them over after half the time to get both sides crunchy.
Now you have a healthy snack ready to be shared and munched, with or without fresh salsa, yogurt or your favorite dip!
These plantain chips are a fun and satisfying alternative to junk food; Their potato-like taste is a treat for potato-chip lovers, and they’re baked, so they’re healthier than the average fried chip. And hey make a great contribution to parties and picnics.