Making your own natural toothpaste at home is easier than you think. With just few ingredients, you can create your very personal toothpaste for yourself and your family, control what goes in and achieve the flavor you desire. The following natural toothpaste recipe is my personal favorite, using peppermint essential oil with both grapefruit seed and myrrh extracts for a more refreshing taste.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 small packets Stevia powder
- 15-20 drops of peppermint or cinnamon essential oil
- 10 drops grapefruit seed extract (optional)
- 10 drops myrrh extract (optional)
- Melt or slightly soften coconut oil.
- Add all remaining ingredients; mix and stir well. If using semi-hard coconut oil, use a fork, otherwise use a spoon. If using completely melted coconut oil, stir several times while mixture cools to integrate baking soda properly.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Store mixture in a small glass or plastic jar with a lid.
When you’re ready to use your homemade toothpaste, dip your toothbrush into the mixture until a small amount attaches to the bristles, or use small spoon to spread the mixture onto your toothbrush.
For a guide to baby and child dental care, see our comprehensive article Baby Dental Care.