As we approach the new year, most of us reflect on the year we are about to complete, and meditate on what’s coming next. With so many global issues that involve us all, it might be hard to find priorities to focus on. Whatever your New Year’s resolutions will be, don’t forget that as a green community we have a responsibility to practice and promote a sustainable lifestyle and urge others to take part. Climate change is happening, and despite a plethora of denials and skeptics around the globe, it is affecting us all in real time, and we need to act now!
So what can climate action mean in your day-to-day life?
- Recycle all products or bi-products made of valuable natural resources
- Limit the use of disposable products, especially plastics.
- Reduce consumption of meat, red meat in particular. Even one meatless day a week can make a huge impact. We have plenty of yummy and nutritious recipes to inspire your meatless meals.
- Replace or reduce car transportation with public transit, carpooling, bicycling or walking as much as you can. You will not only help reduce air pollution, but may even add to your daily exercise routine too.
- Conserve clean water.
- Do not waste food.
- Buy local: not only you will help your local economy but also reduce transportation needs, therefore air pollution.
- Conserve energy and opt for alternative energy sources, if you can.
- Reach out to your local government and/or representatives and encourage them to promote climate action.
And most importantly, inspire, teach and set example for your children. Because the future of our planet will be in their hands before long, and they will have their hands quite full!
As huge as this issue might seem, together we can all make a significant difference, starting with our family, local community, municipality…all the way to world leaders.
Need more inspiration?
- What Should I Tell My Kids About Global Warming?
- Why Green Diapering Matters
- Solar Energy Now Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels
- Alternative Energy Options
- Ten Simple Ways Busy Moms Can Go Green
- Clean Energy: Savings for Homeowners
- Clean Energy: Savings For Apartment Dwellers
Happy, green and safe 2017 to us all!