Dips are the perfect party dish, quick to make and easy to serve. Even better: make them healthy with nutritious ingredients. The following dish combines cooked gandules (pigeon peas) with fresh vegetables marinated in citrus juice.
Ingredients (serves 4-6 people)
1.5 cups of pigeon peas, cooked
1 medium white onion, chopped into small pieces
1 medium green pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 medium tomato, cut into small pieces
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 fresh orange
Juice of 1 fresh lime
salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine pigeon peas, onion, pepper, tomato and cilantro in a large bowl.
2. Pour lime and orange juice, olive oil and sugar into a separate bowl and stir together until sugar dissolves.
3. Pour dressing over the vegetable mix and stir well together.
4. Serve on the bed of fresh lettuce with whole grain chips or corn tortillas.
5. For a spicier version: add one jalapeño pepper chopped into small pieces.
From our green chef Diana Vazquez. Enjoy!
Para la versión en español de esta receta vaya a Dip de Gandules para la Fiesta
Nutritional facts and health benefits of Pigeon Peas:
Pigeon peas contain high levels of protein and are rich is potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium. They’re also a good source of iron, selenium, vitamin A and niacin and contain small amounts of zinc, copper, manganese, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, folate and pantothenic acid. Pigeon peas also may offer additional health benefits such as anti-inflammatory properties. 100g of pigeon peas have about 343 calories.