With winter upon us and the holiday season in high gear, soups are the perfect meal to fill you up and keep you warm. The first recipe from the Latina Verde Soup Kitchen is a pumpkin coconut soup. This vegetarian pumpkin soup blends traditional pumpkin flavor with the tropical taste of coconut. A festive color and elegant texture make it a great holiday dish with high nutritional value.
Ingredients (yields 4-6 servings)
1 half of a pumpkin, cut into cubes
3 large potatoes, cut into cubes
1 large onion, chopped into small pieces
1 large green pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 large tomato, cut into small pieces
1 can evaporated milk (or 1.5 cups whole milk or half & half)
1 tablespoon of brown sugar (optional)
pinch of salt and pepper for seasoning to taste
Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
1. In large saucepan, combine pumpkin and potatoes; add water and cook until soft.
2. Put pieces of coconut meat and coconut water in a blender and blend them into coconut milk.
3. Add evaporated milk to the blender; gradually add cooked pumpkin, potatoes, onion, pepper and tomato and blend everything together until smooth. Use some water from cooking pumpkin for desired consistency (optional).
4. Pour the mixture into large saucepan. Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 20-25 minutes.
5. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve in a bowl, garnished with fresh cilantro or parsley.
If you need help with selecting the right personal blender for your needs, check out this guide on the top 5 blenders.
From our green chef Diana Vazquez. Enjoy!
Para la versión en español de esta receta vaya a Sopa de Coco y Calabaza para Festividades
Health benefits of pumpkin and coconut
Pumpkin is a rich source of Vitamin A and dietary fiber and is very low in calories. It’s also a good source of vitamin C, magnesium, potassium and zinc.
Coconut is a great source of dietary fiber, an excellent source of manganese, it also contains iron, phosphorus, potassium, traces of zinc, calcium and magnesium. Coconut also has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and anti-parasitic properties, helps to support the immune system and helps maintain healthy bones and teeth.