In the recent weeks, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been continuously announcing recall alerts on sunflower seeds and kernels from several companies due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
Some of the recall alerts are listed below:
- Kashi Company voluntarily recalls One Variety of Kashi® Granola Bars and One Variety of Bear Naked® Granola due to potential health risk related to sunflower seeds. Read details here.
- Expanded voluntary recall on certain Backroad Country Brand sunflower kernel products. Read details here.
- C. J. Dannemiller Co. announces recall of “sunflower kernels, roasted and salted” and “sunflower kernels, roasted no salt”. Read details here.
- First Source recalls “various products containing sunflower kernels received from our supplier Sunopta”. Read details here.
- E S Foods recalls Meal Breaks containing sunflower seeds. More details here.
Listeria monocytogenes, is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.