- Snack food waste is recycled into biogas and fertilizer: A few years ago, the PepsiCo’s agriculture team in Turkey decided to invest into an anaerobic digestion technology to process organic waste produced on its facility. The digester is fed by a mixture of potato peels, corn kernels and other ingredients used in production of the company’s snack foods. Today, the biogas produced by this anaerobic digestion process covers about 35 percent of all the electricity needed for its two food production plants. Plus, the nutrient-rich “waste” that’s a bi-product of the anaerobic digestion, is now used as an environmentally friendly fertilizer, so nothing goes to waste.
- New and sustainable office design called “Pop-up office”: The Pop-Up-Office, designed by Toronto-based architecture firm Dubbeldam Architecture, represents a new approach in office design while also being green. Essentially, the office is an installation of modular units that can be combined in various ways, allowing for both individual work and collaboration. It’s designed according to new requirements for office use, such as mobility, adaptability and flexibility. The final result is a workspace that is simultaneously bare bones and tailored to the individual with endless possibilities for individual configurations. The modules are also very easily transported, reconfigurable and rapidly deployed. And since it’s manufactured from reclaimed wood palette boards, the Pop-Up-Office also fulfills current high demands for sustainability.
- First four countries that forced fast food chain McDonald’s out: The fast food giant McDonald’s now operates its restaurants in 118 countries around the world. However there are already a few countries that managed to get McDonald’s out, each for different reasons. These countries include Iceland, Bolivia, Macedonia and Bermuda.
- What We Need to Know About Beef Production
- Glyphosate and Childhood Vaccines
- Understanding Common Food Allergies
- National Heatstroke Prevention Day
- Affect of Screen Time on Kids' Brains
Recent Video Episodes
Green Easter Crafts
Organic Gardening Basics
Tuneful Tots: The Importance of Music Education for Young Children
- Luca’s First Birthday Chocolate Cake
Listen to your chocolate cravings; Everyone’s favorite flavor is actually good for you!
- Homemade Healthy Baby Food with Tofu
This homemade healthy baby food recipe with just four ingredients introduces babies to tofu.
- Creative Healthy Meals for Kids
Making healthy meals fun can get kids excited about foods that are normally on the "no" list.
- Homemade Pear Sauce: An Apple Alternative
Homemade pear sauce has a more subtle flavor than applesauce, makes an elegant addition to any food in need of sweet side and kids love it.
- Gluten-Free Almond Butter Blondies
This recipe using almond butter is not only gluten-free, it's free of dairy and refined sugar. Our two-year-old taste tester gave it a "great big smile" rating.
Ugi’s Tips on Going Green
January is Glaucoma Awareness Month, but half of people with glaucoma don’t know they have it.
Get a healthy start in 2017 by learning about glaucoma and taking steps to reduce your risk of vision loss!
Reality check! twitter.com/paulamints1/status…