Expressing your love for Mom doesn’t have to cost a fortune. This year, serve up a brunch, lunch, dinner or dessert that comes from your heart. And if you can actually make it heart-shaped–this works for pizza, pie, cookies or chocolates–even better!
- Breakfast buttermilk pancakes: Start the day with a special healthy breakfast she’ll remember: buttermilk banana pancakes with fresh fruit shaped into hearts or rolled and filled with fruit preserves.
- Homemade pizza just for mom: This whole wheat pizza is not only very easy to make, but it’s very tasty and nutritious, and making it tailored to your mom’s favorites will make it an instant success.
- White asparagus risotto with chicken: The appearance of asparagus heralds spring and offers an elegant addition to healthy seasonal recipes. So why not make a unique meal for mom she will always associate with spring and Mother’s Day.
- Tropical chicken with avocados and sweet plantains: You don’t have to buy mom a getaway to tropics, but you can make her feel like she’s there with this delicious and nutritious meal.
- Homemade dark chocolate hearts with dried fruit and nuts are a great way to say “I love you” without having to waste paper on the box. It’s an easy recipe and they make a sweet, unique gift that’s healthier than most confections you’ll find in stores.
- Apple cinnamon mini-strudels: One way to make Mother’s Day special for your mom: Make one of Grandma’s specialties. This recipe uses no sugar and less butter so the final crust is not as flaky and puffy, but still tastes delicious. To make it even more healthy, you can use whole-wheat flour and organic ingredients, especially apples.
Happy Mother’s Day to all moms around the world!