What is gluten?
It’s a protein composite found in foods made of wheat and other grains such as barley or rye. Gluten helps the dough rise and retain its shape due to its elastic properties; it often gives the final product a chewy texture. Gluten-free foods are made without gluten.
Recent statistics indicate that approximately one person per hundred Americans suffers from Celiac disease, which means they have gluten intolerance. We’ve prepared a series of recipes that are gluten-free–but no less yummy. And just because these treats are gluten-free, it doesn’t mean they’re especially low in calories, so if you’re keeping track, gluten-free isn’t an excuse to overindulge.
Warm flourless gluten-free chocolate cake
- 1 cup butter (or margarine)
- 10 ounces chopped dark bittersweet chocolate (such as 6 oz of semi-sweet chips + 4 oz of 75% dark chocolate)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Butter the bottom of a 10-inch spring form pan, and line with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Stir in chocolate, and continue to stir until almost melted.
- Remove from heat, and stir until melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 ¼ cups of sugar and the cocoa powder.
- Whisk in the eggs until well blended, then whisk in the chocolate and butter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes in the preheated oven. The cake is ready when the edges have nicely puffed and the surface is firm except for a small spot in the center that will jiggle when the pan is gently shaken. Cool cake in the pan over a wire rack. Run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake, then remove the sides of the pan, and invert onto a serving plate. Remove the parchment paper.
To make ahead:
Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.An hour before serving, remove from refrigerator. Warm in 200 degree F oven for 15 min. Serve with cut fresh fruit to balance the richness of the cake.
More gluten-free desserts: Gluten-Free Almond Butter Blondies